September 12, 2010

i will blog about hongkong for my boyfriend who misses me like crazy and is worried that i'll die living in a hostel rather than a five star hotel
Day 1 in Hongkong
Our flight with jetstar was delayed by three hours. We finally touched down at 520 pm (local hk time). Got our octopus cards and headed to the bus terminal to board bus A21 to Mongkok (which is the 6th stop) where Ah Shan Hostel is.

Ah Shan hostel is tiny. A room for two with a private bathroom is barely half the size of my room. But I must say for $30 a night, it's quite a steal. Room is clean with airconditioning, wi-fi and water heater. Towels, shower foam and shampoo provided. I have yet to see the exterior of the building tomorrow morning as it's now too dark to determine...but from the looks of the stairway and corridors, I think I'll be in for some massive shock when God turns the lights on.

Since plans to camwhore with the clock tower at Tsim Sha Tsui have been disrupted by plane delay, dinner was up once we put our bags in our rooms. Dinner was at Fok Lai Restaurant under recommendation of lonely planet hongkong. To get there, take the MTR from Mongkok to Prince Edward station. It's only one stop and takes about 5 minutes. Take exit D, cross the road and you'll arrive at the back entrance of Fok Lai restaurant. The restaurant does not have menus so just whack and see what they have.

Must tries include the fried squid, clams ("hei" in Cantonese) in black bean sauce, goose meat ("orr pin") and omelette ("fu yong dan"). The bill came up to HKD388 for the four of us, which is approximately S$18 a person.

After hearing much raves about Shui Lau Shan, we grabbed a cup of A2 Mango drink with hermus jelly (HKD20 a cup or HKD30 for 2). Verdict: Nice and refreshing but too sweet for my liking. Then again, desserts are meant to be sweet! :p I'm sure the bf would love it.

Ladies street ("Looi yarn gai") hasn't changed since 5 years ago. They're still selling the same kinda things like magnets and fake gucci and slutty nightie and kinky briefs for males. Not my cup of tea so ten minutes and I was done.

1030 and back to hostel. I know, it's Hongkong right? Who goes on a holiday to Hongkong and sleeps before 12? Well my Hongkong travel mates apparently. Zzzz..

Waking up at 830 tomorrow to yum cha (in all Hongkong gusto) at one Michelin star Tim Ho Wan. Rated the BEST dim sum in hongkong with a demeaning queue of up to 2 hours. Eggcited! Can't wait to sink my teeth into warm juicy pouches of har gao! (((:

Nights world! I hear the honks going off below. Me love Hongkong! The boys the food and the language. 

No comments: